Thursday, October 12, 2006

Nanny Blues

Just when I think things are coming together with my nannies I have ones that don’t show for work.  Last Saturday, before I had arranged the schedule to have 2 night caregivers, my night nanny sent friends to tell us that her brother died and she wouldn’t be to work for 3 days because of the funeral.  Why 3 days you all say.  Well here in Malawi funerals are a big deal and a huge part of the culture.  I don’t know enough to explain it but when a family member dies you are obligated to go to the funeral.  It is a huge issue for the Christians here as they are reminded A LOT of the verse in Luke 9, “And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.  Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.  And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” They will miss church and other commitments to attend funerals.  They also borrow money from their white friends and employers to buy coffins and pay for the funeral expenses.  We were warned to prepare for this but it still catches you off guard especially when you have babies that need cared for.

So on Saturday, all my children pitched in and we took shifts during the night.  I was very pleased at how they all wanted to help, even Matthew and Andrew my two youngest boys.  I took the shift from 8 until 1 am; Sarah and Matthew were with me for most of that time (even though Sarah slept through it all); Kris stayed from 1 to 3 am; Jared stayed from 3 to 5 am.  When I got up at 5 to check on them Matthew and Andrew were also in there helping out.  I was so proud of them all.

Back to the nannies—thankfully the next day I was able to get a hold of another nanny (you can’t call most of them because they don’t have phones) and she showed up and worked for my missing nanny.  Eventually the nanny that was at the funeral came back on shift after 3 nights of being gone.  Two days later a different nanny was sick but was diligent enough to contact one of my nannies to work for her.  Then today, the sick nanny didn’t show up and didn’t contact anyone about working for her.  My dayshift ladies were very concerned and one volunteered to stay the night even though she had just worked 12 hours and she has an 11 yr. old daughter at home.  I asked who would care for her daughter and she said that there were other people that live at her home.  “But won’t they be concerned when you don’t show?” I asked.  She didn’t seem to think so.  This is definitely a different culture.

I hope I haven’t rambled too much but I definitely am being stretched in patience.  I would love to just do it all myself but that limits how many children we can reach and I know that God is using this to refine ME.

 

Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. James 1:3-4

 

1 Comments:

Blogger LinZi said...

Regarding funerals.. It seems extremely normal to me that anyone who's family member died (especially someone as close as a brother) would leave other commitments such as church or work to be at the funeral, no matter WHAT culture they are in. In America people do the same thing. Often there are wakes as well as funerals and long rituals, regardless of what ethnicity the people are.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home