Thursday, November 23, 2006

Life These Days

I don’t have any exciting news so I thought I would just give you a glimpse of our life these days.

Life in the nursery has calmed down quite a bit.  We have 7 babies and haven’t gotten any more since the first of October.  We have room for 2 more but we know that it’s just a matter of time before we get more.  It was a scramble at the beginning as we were getting babies faster than we could get cribs made.  Ten nannies have been hired and trained with only 1 that needed to be let go and one is only used for fill in.  We have 2 nannies on each 12 hour shift.  They work 3 days on then 3 off, 4 days on then 4 off.  They work long hours when they work but it averages out to 42 hours a week.  They all seem to enjoy working here and so far I have been very pleased. 

I had been thinking about having a devotional time during shift change but was unsure how they would feel.  Most attend church so I was hoping that they wouldn’t mind.  A few days later, Monica one of my nannies asked if we could start each day with devotions as it was not always easy caring for the babies.  Needless to say I was thrilled.  So at the morning shift change I read a few scriptures with a short discussion (as I’m not sure how much they understand) then I pray and sometimes one of the ladies will pray in Tumbuka.  We also pray at the evening shift change.  It seems to set the tone of the day as they are seeing that this isn’t just a job but a ministry for them too.

The days when the babies were crying all the time has long gone.  All the babies have adjusted and just cry over the usual things—wet diaper, hungry or just want to be held.  Most of the time when I go into the nursery the babies are sleeping or lying on the floor while the ladies are folding clothes.  We have our usual 3-4 pm crying session which happens most days but it’s no different than when my children were little.  It seemed that the time you wanted to start getting dinner ready the baby would cry and be fussy.  I guess it’s universal. 

I never considered myself a “baby” person but I sure love these guys.  It is a treat to walk into the nursery and hold a baby whenever I want.  I’m sure that fact that someone else does most of the work like washing out diapers helps my attitude.  Actually most of my nannies won’t let me change the nappies.  I am more than willing to but when I put a baby on the changing table they jump up and finish it.  There is definitely a distinction in boss and worker here and they consider it a dishonor for me to do their job.  They will call one of the kids to take a baby so they can cook or wash up but they would never call me.  I have to explain to them that these babies are my babies too.

The ladies have become quite possessive of their babies.  I have assigned nannies to a room so they are responsible for certain children.  When we get new clothes and I ask who the clothes will fit they will argue over who gets it even if it’s obvious that it won’t fit their baby.  I have tried to explain that girls wear pink so Leya’s mamas let everyone know that any clothes or blankets that are pink belong to her.  It is done very good naturedly but sometimes I wonder.  I told Leya’s mamas that she was going to be adopted and they were heartbroken.  One said, “Not my daughter.” 

We are continuing to proceed with Leya’s adoption.  The social service worker from Mzuzu is going to Blantyre next week to conduct the home study.  Once the home study is complete and the worker approves the family then they can foster her until the adoption is final.  Since the family is leaving the country permanently in March we are trying to ensure that this process moves along quickly.  We’ll have to pray for girls as my nannies want more girls.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and it feels weird as we have none of the usual reminders that we do at home.  The weather is warm; no calls from family as we coordinate the meal.  We are going to Paul & Joanne Pascoe’s home to celebrate Thanksgiving with the few Americans in town.  The next time I go home, I’m bringing back some cranberry sauce, olives, pickles, and canned pumpkin in my suitcase.  They have pumpkin here but not in the can and it just doesn’t taste the same to me.  I would have thought it silly to pack them before but know I realize how important little things are.  I did find some cream cheese in Lilongwe last week and paid an outrageous price but I wanted to make a cheesecake for Thanksgiving.  They were selling strawberries on the street so I bought them so we will have a cheesecake with strawberries just like home. 

 

 

 

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah/Robert said...

Dear Langdon family,
I want to wish you a blessed Thanksgiving Day even you are far from home and extended family!

I spent Thanksgiving in Africa in 1993 with my mother and (then) 11-yr-old son. We were guests of Dave and Polly Miller (Nancy Dimmock's parents) in Harare the week of Thanksgiving, gathering in a local hotel with other Americans for a special dinner.

But the week before we had been in Mzuzu with Nancy and Frank. In fact, when Frank picked us up at the airport in Lilongwe, in preparation for their own celebration, we stopped to buy a small turkey in the grocery before heading north to Mzuzu! Our time there was precious and full..

Our son, Ben, is now 24, with a missionary heart, working full time with international students at University of South Alabama (in Mobile, where we live). He has already been to Nepal and India on a two month mission trip and is planning another one for 2007. We count the trip to Africa as an important step in his heart's training. How much more will your children's training be during this time you have with Ministry of Hope's Crisis Nursery!

I found your blog while looking for Nancy's babies' pictures. Thank you so much for your obedience to our Lord by being there. I pray God's continued blessings on your family, on the babies, on your work, the nannies, and His mighty protection around Mzuzu.

In Christ,
Sarah Brenner

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home