Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Baby in the Hospital

Yesterday I took Samson (3 months) to the clinic at Central Hospital as he had a fever and diarrhea.  I have learned that these babies are so fragile and have such a wide variety of possible problems that it is best not to wait. The hospital I took him to is funded primarily by the Taiwanese government and has a few good Taiwanese doctors working there including a pediatric doctor.  I took Samson’s diaper so they could see what his stool looked like and they immediately recommended that he be admitted for at least 3 days.  They diagnosed him as having salmonella.  He said that the cause is probably the water which doesn’t make sense because we boil the water before making formula or at least my nannies are supposed to. 

Thankfully I had just hired a woman to work as a fill in and if we ever needed a nanny to be with a baby in the hospital.  She was the one who had gone with me to the hospital and agreed to stay with Samson for the three days.  Before I go on let me fill you in on how a hospital goes.  If you go to the hospital you must have someone with you take care of you such as feed you, bathe you, etc.  The nurses don’t do anything but administer medicine and it is up to your family to see that all your other needs are met.  I had to take a sheet, blanket, food for the nanny, formula, electric kettle to boil water, a thermos to hold the boiled water, diapers, wipes, clothes and blankets for the baby.  Every day I will have to take food and tea for the nanny and diapers and clothes for Samson.  The Lord was so merciful though and Samson was put in a private room with just one other person.  Normally he would have been put in the general ward which has a lot of beds in one big room.  In addition to the sick people in the room all their caretakers are with them too.  Not a good place to stay well in my opinion.  So I was thrilled when the nurse took us to the private room.  The bed even had its own sheet and blanket. 

After returning home all the other nannies wanted to share in caring for Samson so we will have someone there for dayshift and another one for nightshift.  I will be doing a lot of driving back and forth the next few days.  Please pray for Samson to get well and pray for endurance for me (Lisa) as sometimes caring for my family and the nursery seems overwhelming.

 

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.  Galations 6:9 

3 Comments:

Blogger 5KidMom said...

I'm sorry to hear about little Samson. Salmonella is nasty stuff. Our baby girl had it when she was in the orphanage in Ethiopia. She didn't gain weight from the time she was 3 months old, until she was alomost 6 months old and finally got treated for it. She became a VERY sick little girl, and it took 11 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics to get her better. I do have some of the specifics of the drugs they used if you are interested in sharing that with Samson's doctor. Feel free to email me privately if you would like. Good for you for getting Samson to the hospital right away. That should make the infection easier to treat.

I will be praying for you, your family, the nannies and Samson as you all endure this busy, scary time.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Langdon Family said...

Thanks for your concern and the info. He is doing well right now, probably because we got him there soon and he wasn't extremely sick to start with. If things change, we'll be sure to get your medication information, although availability seems to be a problem here even if you know what is needed.

6:14 PM  
Blogger 5KidMom said...

That's wonderful to hear. These little ones are so tough. They seem to figure out how to fight through some of the nastiest things. I will keep praying, and sending up praises to Samson's Great Physician. 8^)

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home