Saturday, January 27, 2007

Back to the Hospital and a New Baby

On Thursday, Loti (5 months) had a fever and was breathing rapidly so I took him to the hospital clinic where they diagnosed pneumonia and admitted him because he is under 1 year.  When Samson was in the hospital we were given a semi-private room but this time we were put in the general ward.  I’m not sure if it’s the smells, the mud all over the floor or being literally jammed into an open space with beds and people everywhere that makes me cringe.  I can’t believe that being in a ward surrounded by other sick children and a lot of their family members is better than just giving me the antibiotics to administer in a more sterile environment. It doesn’t seem to phase my nannies but I try to spend as little time there as possible. 

I was told that he would be there for 5 days but this afternoon (Saturday) Jared tells me that Monica is coming into the nursery with Loti on her back.  I am certain he is mistaken but sure enough there she is.  He was discharged at 10:30 (I’m sure they needed his bed) and gave my nanny a bottle of antibiotics with no instructions on dosage or length of time.  Thankfully we have a book that tells dosage and duration for specific medical conditions.  Anyway, she wasn’t sure what to do as I wasn’t coming back to the hospital until 4 pm and she couldn’t remember my phone number.  She took a minibus from the hospital to a place close by and then walked, in the rain, to my house carrying a suitcase, 3 plastic bags full of stuff and Loti on her back.  She said a Good Samaritan walked with her and let her use his umbrella. 

The fact that they discharged him early just reinforces my previous comment about treating him here especially since that they didn’t even finish his treatment but gave Monica the bottle to bring home.  I am going to propose that strongly next time.

On Friday morning we were called about a baby that had been taken to Rafiki Village.  Since Rafiki doesn’t take babies they figured it must belong to us.  So we have added a little 2 week old boy named Innocent to our roster.  His mother is mentally ill and was admitted to the mental hospital and they needed a place for him.  As usual, the ladies wanted a girl, but are happy just to have a new baby.  We are now at 8 babies.  Lisa

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home