Monday, October 13, 2008

Hospital Trip

Yesterday, I drove 6 babies for check ups at Central Hospital. Anna (our head nurse) and a nanny went along.

Central Hospital is about 10 Km from the nursery. Since no one else is available to transport us, I am the driver as well as the matron. Driving in Malawi is a bit hairy. You keep left and pass right. The roads are narrow and potholed, with bicycles, pedestrians, and animals crowding the edge of the shoulders. The steering wheel is on the right, while shifting is done with the left hand and turn signals are on the right of the steering column.

We are 9 in the car—3 adults and six babies—so there is no room for car seats. The oldest one is 6 months. We put 2 babies in front with Anna and 4 babies in the back with the nanny. She holds one and puts 3 on the floor. The babies love the car because it is a rare treat. There is no crying – just interested staring off into the distance.

When we get to the hospital we each put a baby on our backs in a cloth zitinge and hold another in our arms. Then, armed with their immunization records and an enormous diaper bag, we head off to the clinic. We carry baby bottles, hot water, and boiled, treated, cold water in thermos jugs. This we mix with formula powder for feeding on the go.

There are literally hundreds of moms and babies waiting in the large, airy waiting area. Seeing us with 6 babies, the staff lets us jump the queue and herds us into a room for weighing and measuring. One baby gets hysterical and the nanny takes him out. That leaves Anna and me with 5. For a while, I have 3 all to myself. I keep one on my back and feed one in my arms, while watching the third on the boat-like baby scale so he wouldn't fall out. All this is going on while the nurse is weighing, measuring and looking up test results. It is wild.

For six babies, we have 4 HIV test results come back negative, one result is still out, and one baby is listed as dead. I assure the nurse he isn't dead because I happen to be giving him a bottle at that very moment. She smiles and agrees that he looks very much alive.

All in all it is a big morning. Four babies fall asleep on the way home, looking like little coffee beans all lined up in their blankets. I drive VERY carefully, fearing a sudden stop will splatter everyone all over the car. We make it OK and none are worse for the wear. I appreciate car seats more than ever now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Langdon Family said...

Darlene,
As I read your blog it just brought so many memories back. I was smiling ear to ear and wishing I was with you but also thankful that I'm not. God bless you and keep you all.
Give my love to Anna and the nannies.
Lisa

12:44 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Fred and Kathy GarryIsrael 09 with EO said...

Blog looks great Paul. I will have our folks link it to our website and put a word in our newsletter.

Fred

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home