Monday, October 19, 2009

The Fall

Falling in love is a wonderful thing. It’s like walking into a surprise party for two. Falling out of love is a painful thing. It’s like walking out of a funeral home. Yet, as I remind couples when I preach a marriage homily, the honeymoon always ends. Sooner or later we hit the ground and fall out of love. Only then does the work of real love begin. {Which is why most men should stay married—it’s the best chance we have for growing up!}

I fell in love with Malawi during my first visit here in 2002. After 2 months of immersion in Malawi life both Darlene & I became convinced that our love was real. Our desire to somehow return for a long term commitment was undeniable.

Six years later (after 2 more visits) we said our vows and “moved in.”On Aug. 7, 2008 we returned to Malawi for a three year term as PCUSA (Presbyterian Church USA) missionaries. However, we soon became painfully aware that there is a huge difference between casual visits and “living together”. In fact we had a devil of a time. The honeymoon was over, we hit the ground, we fell out of love.

August 7, 2009 when we left for a visit to the States, some people wondered if we would ever return to Malawi. In my darkest moments, so did I.

We had fallen out of love.

Nevertheless, along the way, we had also begun the hard work of real loving. Our feelings had changed but our commitment had not. We were growing up. Returning to Malawi & the Mzuzu Crisis Nursery after our visit to the States was truly returning home. (Be it ever so humble!)

Exorcism

What the devil is going on here?

The devil,

the father of lies,

the tempter of souls,

the destroyer of hope,

gets a kick out of kicking us

when we are down.

So we say:

“The Devil made me do it!”

Do you “believe” in the Devil?

No, not I.

Yet,

I know not

how better to name “it”.

The lies that corrupt my mind,

the trials that drag down my spirit,

the darkness that shrouds my soul,

Is real!

Until…..

all heaven breaks loose

and I glimpse

The Light—The Life—The Love

of One who alone is

Truth;

the One who lifts my soul

above the devil’s reach .

Paul Heller

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Steve Bailey said...

Paul,
Powerful post. It means something to know that I am not the only one who struggles - that even Paul and Darlene struggle with their decisions. Glad you are hanging in there, you have no idea how much you motivate me and others to be better people every day.
Steve

2:22 PM  
Blogger jan scott said...

Beautiful! Im so glad yall had a good trip to the states and that you are back "home" in Malawi. What a blessing your words are.

Also, we thought it was about time for Alec to return home. We'll be praying for him. And you all too.

Much love from Atlanta,
Jan Scott and Luke

1:59 AM  
Blogger Anabel Proffitt said...

Paul and Darlene: Thank you for sharing your journey of growth and service with us. We at the Childwold Memorial Church have been galvanized for mission by your work and witness. We are grateful to be part of your work financially and prayerfully. We will continue to pray for you. You are not alone! Peace, Anabel

8:28 PM  
Blogger Molly Wyenberg said...

Thank you for sharing your struggle. I am particularly blessed by your perseverance and commitment. Could you email me the delightful photo of the 2 of you laughing on the floor with the babies? Or is there another way I can get a higher resolution copy of the photo?

Thanks.
Molly Wyenberg, Medical Benevolence Foundation
mwyenberg@mbfoundation.org

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home