Thursday, November 06, 2008

Lunch

How does a blue eyed American integrate into a Tumbuka speaking nursery staff? I am around the nannies all the time, but really don’t have many conversations other than “How are you” and “How is the baby”. Most of my interaction is with the nurse and supervisor, who speak good English.

Thursday I was invited to lunch. Lunch and dinner is served every day at the nursery. It consists of nsima (thick maize or cassava porridge the consistency of play dough), greens and fish or beef.

Today we are having cassava nsima (a treat from the supervisor’s garden) rape leaf greens, and beef cubes. Cassava nsima has a distinctive taste – different from maize nsima which has barely any taste at all.

We all sit around the big table and I am served first. I have a glob of cassava nsima, a small pile of greens, and what appears to be 2 lumps of gristle. There is no silverware. A baby is howling, so I pick her up on the way to my seat and start her on a bottle.

I eat with my free hand, breaking off a small piece of nsima and dipping it in the greens before popping it into my mouth. I am hungry and it tastes good. The gristle is a challenge. The nannies are delighted that I am actually eating. We exchange small talk and have a few laughs. When a male staff member joins us the usual curtailing of female gossip is squelched by his presence.

Except for the setting and the food we could be anywhere in the world, a group of women sharing lunch together. We are one world. We all have problems and worries, many universal. Illness, depression, menopause, unfaithfulness, the mother in law – it’s all there. When we share food and fellowship together we let each other know we are not forgotten or alone in our struggles. Thanks be to God!


P.S. This morning, as we listened to BBC’s live coverage of President elect Barak Obama’s acceptance speech, he spoke directly to us when he addressed people “huddled around a radio in a forgotten part of the world.” We are grateful that neither BBC, nor you, nor the Lord has forgotten us or the people of Malawi

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Darlene,

My name is Kristen DeCelle and I lived in Malawi for one year working with LISAP from 2006-2007. I house sat for the McGill family for several weeks. I wonder whether you are living in their house. I am excited to hear that someone has taken over the crisis nursery in Mzuzu.
You are fulfilling an important need. I was so sorry to hear about Tapiwa's death. Deaths of children are so unfair. I am a student at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and we were talking tonight in one of my classes about Measles, Mumps, and Chicken pox. It's awful that suffering from disease falls most heavily to the most vulnerable.
Say hello to Mphatso from me when you see her.
In Christ,

Kristen DeCelle

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear friends.So interesting to read your last post.I would like to sit there by the table together with you ,holding babies and being useful.We often think of you and the work you are doing for others.
We are ok in every way,last week-end I visited Emma.Cecilie is ok,the baby will come March 7th.
Love from Leikny and Odd

10:57 PM  
Blogger Adam Paul Heller said...

It is nice to see a photo of the Nursery, I would like to see more photos of the building and what is looks like outside.

Adamson

4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darlene,
You look beautiful!
They are so lucky to have you and Paul in Malawi working for Ministry of Hope.
Are you gardening? what do you need me to bring in May?
Love and blessings,
Mary

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home