Thursday, January 22, 2009

Waiting List

“This is Social Welfare from Mzimba.” says the woman on the other end of the line, an undertone of desperation in her voice. “Please, please call me back.” (You see, everyone here relies on pre-paid phone service, and it is common for people to ask for a call back because they are running out of units.) Augustine (our Administrative Assistant) returns the call and the social worker says “We have an orphaned baby whom I have been caring for in my own home since her mother died giving birth last week. The father is unknown, probably a truck driver who will never know (or care) that he has a child. But soon I must be leaving for Blantyre and I don’t know what to do with the baby. Can you help me?”

That is why we are here, of course—to rescue infants in crisis. But we cannot take this baby. Right now we are caring for 17 babies, and our practical limit is 15. The cruel reality is that we cannot take in all the babies who are in crisis.

“Every time we have to turn a baby away I feel that we have failed.” sighs Augustine. Yes, that is how it feels.

This day’s second distress call comes from Rumphi. Two 2 week old twins have been left motherless. Can we help? The answer has not changed since this morning or since the call last week about a sole surviving triplet.

It’s a harsh reality. We cannot save all the babies in Northern Malawi. But we can save some. Granted, on days like this that is faint consolation. But, thank God, it is enough to banish despair. We cannot do everything, but we can do something. And, together with your support, we are.

Table Grace
Today Jesus melted in my mouth
like warm cotton candy.
Yet,
He left me feeling full.
Full—filled!
The body of Chris melted away
without a trace.
Except
for the fluid flowing down my face,
washing
away my fear.
Paul Heller

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHO AUTHORED THE TABLE GRACE...IT IS BEAUTIFUL...JUD

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only love were money and pairs of free hands and nourishing food... It's just too much to feel like you must help, but can't. Our prayers are with you...
Sara and Adam

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home